What can I claim for ?

If you have been raped or sexually assaulted by a colleague or workmate you are entitled to make a claim for compensation.

We appreciate that no amount of money can take away the pain and the hurt that can result from being the victim of such an attack. However, compensation can help you move on, if possible, with your life. You could possibly, afford to retrain and find a new career, move away to an area where you feel safe or just simply have money in the bank to know that you and your loved ones are financially secure.

If it can be shown that there is a link between your assault and the employment of your attacker then it may be possible to bring the claim against your employer. The advantage of bringing a claim against your employer is that they should have insurance to ensure there will be sufficient money to pay your compensation and legal costs. This is not always the case when you bring a civil claim against your attacker.

Mental and physical injuries

In a claim for rape or sexual assault, like most personal injury claims the majority of your compensation will consist of what are known as 'General Damages'.  General Damages covers pain, suffering and loss of amenity (PSLA): loss of amenity is the loss of enjoyment of life during the recovery period.  It may be that you suffer psychological trauma which is likely to last for the rest of your life.  If this is the case then you will receive compensation for this as well as any physical injuries you may have sustained in the assault. 

The level of compensation you will recover is based upon how the assault has affected you, not how others feel you should behave or react in such a situation. 

To allow us to accurately value your claim and to prove your losses we will ask that you attend at an appointment with our appointment medical consultant who will examine both you and your medical records before preparing a report setting out the impact the assault had upon you and the prognosis for your recovery and any appropriate treatment that it is felt may benefit you.

Basically, General Damages covers the physical and mental injuries resulting from the assault upon you.  Each case turns on its own facts. However to give an indication of the levels of compensation that are available, two recent cases in which we acted involved:

To see how we can help get in touch with us today:
  • A woman who was forced to perform oral sex upon her attacker was awarded £95,000.

  • A woman, who at a works conference, was groped by her manager received £25,000.

The level of compensation will depend entirely upon the nature of the assault and how it has affected you as an individual.

Financial losses

In addition to General Damages we will look to recover compensation for your financial losses, generally referred to as Special Damages.  This covers all financial losses; the most usual form of loss is lost income  so if you were unable to work due to the trauma caused by the assault please get in touch with us and we can help you claim the compensation that you deserve. 


With regards to lost income we would look to recover all past and any future lost income, taking into account inflation, possible promotions, etc.

Start your claim today:

If you believe that you have been the victim of a sexual assault whilst at work, get in touch with us today and we will advise you on the possibility of bringing a successful claim against your employer.

If you are not able to bring a claim against your employer then we can advise you as to other options open to you such as a claim against the individual or an application to the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA).

Call: Mike Massen on 0113 224 7804 or 07971021268 out of hours

Email: rasawork@cohencramer.co.uk

Your claim can be dealt with on a No Win-No Fee basis

For the Quality Legal Service You Deserve


I'm a paragraph. Click here to add your own text and edit me. Let your users get to know you.

Authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority SRA No: 607109. VAT No: 343 0220 13 The SRA Rules can be found by visiting www.sra.org.uk 
Cohen Cramer is a trading name of Cohen Cramer Ltd, registered in England and Wales, Co Reg No: 8706697 
We use the word ‘partner’ to refer to a shareholder or director of the company or an employee or consultant who is a lawyer with equivalent standing and qualifications. The use of the word Partner is not intended to imply the existence of or to create a partnership, nor is it intended to imply that any such person has an equitable interest in the firm.